Friday, September 10, 2010

Reflection 1

Back to school after a very long while Actually, I was quite tensed about attending the first lesson on Current Initiatives in Maths because I haven’t been teaching Maths for a long while. But the approach that Dr Yeap adopted very quickly settled my nerves. Bravo to you, Dr.Yeap.
I found the lecture very engaging and insightful. The lesson started with a hands-on approach and through the use of effective questioning, many underlying concepts were surfaced. It is amazing how a relatively simple activity such as forming squares can lead one to discover other aspects of concepts such as area etc. I believe this approach of self-discovery will have a greater impact on the pupils’ learning as they have ownership of their learning.
This inductive approach to portray the overview of the initiatives and the framework of the Maths Curriculum was indeed an eye opener for me. I was introduced to the framework before but the manner in which it was presented was very didactic. But today’s lecture, tied in very neatly some of the learning theories, principles behind the initiatives based on national needs and international trends. This comprehensive package had got thinking about how Maths is taught in schools where the pre-occupation is just the completion of the syllabus. If we are to equip our pupils to become “intellectually competent” we must firstly reflect on our beliefs. Sorry, I meant to capture a short entry, but when I started I just could not stop. Ha!Ha! Am looking forward to the group presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment